This product item is for ONE Strap (or belt) which fit one of several models of the Iconic chair designed by Mies van der Rohe in 1928, known worldwide as the Barcelona Chair. This item can also be used for the footstool, since we only offer one size of leather belts.
Our straps are genuine "belt-grade" cowhide straps that measure 30 x 1.5 inches x 3/16 inches thick. They are a raw/neutral color, smooth on one side and rough on the other. We have them professionally dyed to match the leather color that you can specify, either to match one of our colors or match a leather piece you send us. The cost of the dying is included in the price, however, there is an additional dye color match fee of $100 per strap order.
Which Model Chair Do You Have?
Since we began offering our belts, we have come to learn that there are generally 3 different models of the Barcelona Chair made over the past 60+ years. The strap requirements differ for each model. So double check your chair model before ordering to ensure you order the correct size belt.
- Knoll Barcelona Chairs: First, of course, are the the Knoll brand Barcelona Chairs which uses screws (on the older models) or rivets (on the newer models) to attach the straps. There are 17 straps per chair and 7 straps on the ottoman. The Standard 30 inch straps will fit both the back and seat cushions. These straps are 1.5 inches wide. You will need to punch your own holes and cut off extra length of the straps.
- Replica Barcelona Chairs: Next, there are the replicas from Italy and China which generally use rivets to attach the straps to the frame. There are 17 straps per chair and 7 straps on the ottoman. The Standard 30 inch straps will fit both the back and seat cushions. These straps are 1.5 inches wide. You will need to punch your own holes and cut off extra length of the straps.
- Argentina Style Barcelona Chairs: And finally, there is a style of chair which we call the "Argentina Style", which were made in the 1960s through 1970s (more or less). These models have bolt together frames and have straps that wrap around the frame and are sewn or riveted together at each end to form a loop. You will need 17 straps per chair and 7 straps on the ottoman. When you order the Argentina Style straps, we will make the straps with the loops on the ends so that you can unbolt the frame and install the belts.
This product item is one strap (or belt), not the whole set for your chair, and you will need to select between two choices, depending on your style of chair.
- Style A: For the Barcelona chair or the replicas, it takes 17 straps to completely replace the straps and 7 straps for Barcelona/replica footstool.
- Style B: For the Argentina Style chair, order 17 Straps for the chair and 7 straps for the Argentina Style. We include in this item price the loops on each end of the strap using double cap rivets.
In addition to the belts, you will need to purchase the Color Match product to get the belts dyed to your prescribed color. This fee is $100 per color per order, regardless to how many straps you order. The actual dying is included in the price of the strap. If you are ordering one of our replacement cushions sets, we will match to that leather. If you already have your cushions, and want us to provide the straps to match those, we can do that too, buy you will need to send up a sample of your existing belt or the leather from your cushions.
The procedure for installing the belts onto the frame can be challenging depending on the frame model you have; the screws are the easiest and the rivets are the most difficult. The Argentina Style frame is unbolted and the straps, with their installed loops, are slid onto the frame.